Trump Damage Report – 8/3/2017
Grand jury time, huddled masses and other cosmopolitan biases, Ailes’ sexual ails, dump report, blue dogs are (surprise) still dogs, following the money, denying to confirm later, wars are like renovating restaurants, begging Mexico to pay for it, and grandpappy Trump. All this and more in your daily Trump Damage Report for Thursday, August 3rd, 2017.
- Special counsel Robert Mueller has empanelled a grand jury in the Trump/Russia investigation, and it has just issued subpoenas, Reuters reports. Grand juries convened by folks like Mueller arrive at an indictment about 90% of the time.
- Trump’s in-house fascist authoritarian Stephen Miller clashed with a reporter over the Statue of Liberty, CNN reports. Miller said the poem came later – it did not. Miller said English should be a requirement for immigration – which would have prohibited Trump’s own grandfather from immigrating.
- During the heated exchange, Miller accused Acosta of having a “cosmopolitan bias”, which is an attack that has a very old and storied history, Politico reports. It has roots in Soviet anti-semitism. Don’t look so surprised.
- Trump ally and Fox News founder Roger Ailes made sex with him a prerequisite for getting a job at Fox News, Mother Jones reports.
- Trump refuted that he called the White House a “dump”, but at least 8 people heard him call it a dump, The Hill reports.
- The blue dog billionaire governor of West Virginia Jim Justice is announcing he’s changing parties from Democratic to Republican at a Trump rally, The New York Times reports. This is the value of electing conservative right-wing Democrats in Name Only – they simply turn.
- Mueller is hot on Trump’s trail, tracing financial exchanges in the Trump/Russia investigation, CNN reports. It has been a year since the investigation began, and Trump has been under investigation. Yes, that predates his election.
- Senators have launched a bipartisan effort to produce legislation that will ensure Trump cannot fire Mueller, The Guardian reports. Trump has mulled over the dismissal of the special investigator in an effort to keep his collusion with Russia secret. The truth will be found out.
- Robert Reich offers a summer survival guide for the Trump era. Take a break from news, ignore Twitler’s tweets, don’t argue with Trumpists, drink water, watch satirical movies, read books, go to a county fair, have a cookout. Great advice.
- The Washington Post has a listing of 9 times the Trump administration vehemently denied something, and then confirmed it. The sky is not blue, believe me, believe me. Okay, wait, the sky is blue.
- Trump had a meltdown in the situation room, explaining to America’s top generals that war is like renovating a restaurant, Shareblue reports. He blamed them for having a lack of strategy, while offering none of his own.
- Oh wait. Maybe it was collusion. The New York Times reports.
- Special investigator Robert Mueller added Greg Andres to the investigative team, a high-powered expert on illegal foreign bribery, GQ reports. One can but wonder why, oh why, Mueller would add a specialist on the matter of foreign bribery to the case. Such mysteries and enigmas.
- Trump began his 17-day vacation at his private golf club in New Jersey today, marking the 46th time he has been to a golf course since starting, The Hill reports. Up until now, Trump has spent approximately 40% of his total time relaxing.
- Mother Jones offers a chilling theory on Trump’s nonstop lies. His continuous efforts to lie and promulgate false and misleading statements bears very close resemblance to Putin-style propaganda. If you do it enough, weariness sets in for your victims, and eventually they stop – and are rendered into husks of people who ask “What is truth, even?”
- As mentioned earlier, under Trump’s new anti-immigration rule, his own grandfather wouldn’t have gotten into America, The Washington Post reports. Can we make this retroactive, and render Trump an “anchor baby”?
- Trump’s calls to the Mexican and Australian presidents were leaked, and they are pretty bad, The Washington Post reports. In his calls, he begs the Mexican president to spare him the ordeal of having admitted to a lie about Mexico paying for the wall. To Australia, he rants about refugees.
- Interestingly enough, someone leaked the transcripts of those calls from within the administration to try and warn America about what is taking place, PoliticsUSA reports. Someone was so concerned about the contents, they put them out there. We still don’t know what Trump said to Putin in their several meetings, a couple of which were off the record.