Trump Damage Report – 8/6/2017
Pauly Shore as Stephen Miller, Impeachment Step 1, sticking it to Trump, any crimes discovered open game, Caitlyn Jenner’s mistake, Pence’s absurd total fiction, Fox News sexual predators, Canadian asylum capacity, walls and chainsaws. All this and more in your daily Trump Damage Report for Sunday, August 6th, 2017.
- The National Review asks if the empanelled grand juries are just step one in the long trek towards impeachment. One would certainly hope so. There’s evidence of a massive number of crimes so far, notwithstanding the violations of the emoluments clause of the actual United States Constitution by Trump.
- “Bobby sticks it to Trump” is the title of an insightful editorial by Maureen Dowd in today’s New York Times. Trump has been lying reflexively since he was a kid, whereas Mueller’s expertise is in catching one in lies. Mueller is seen as incorruptible, whereas Trump is seen as the pinnacle of corruption incarnate.
- Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said that special investigator Robert Mueller is permitted to go after any crimes uncovered in the process of the investigation into the Trump/Russia collusion investigation, The Washington Post reports.
- Caitlyn Jenner has apologized for supporting Trump and wearing the “Make America Great Again” hat, The Hill reports. She owned up to making a mistake that the rest of the LGBT community were quite aware was a mistake, told her was a mistake, and acted as a unified bloc in expressing outrage at the mistake. Trump has targeted transgender servicemen and women in the armed forces, singling them out for discrimination and rejection. Caitlin is best known for her activism when she helped with the … she once championed the legislation that … as parent to the Kardashians, she has served as a role mod… actually, Caitlyn hasn’t really done much apart from appearing on a magazine cover at one point. Far, far braver are those transgender members of our community which come out without the benefit of millions of dollars and a public relations agency. Those bold, out, and proud transgender people who are involved in activism for equality and do not offer lip service to the authoritarian, xenophobic, homophobic, transphobic monsters who pretend.
- Trump’s VP Pence calls the prospect of him campaigning already for 2020 “absurd”, The Washington Post reports. He added a special note “Donald, please, please don’t hurt me.”
- That which the ancients did call Kellyanne also took to the airwaves to defend the Pencester against rumors, saying she has zero concern about Pence running and that it’s a complete fiction, ABC News reports. She stopped herself short of saying “Pence has the complete total confidence” of Trump, which is the kiss of death in the current administration.
- Fox News (the leading network for sexual predators) is embroiled in new allegations leveled against anchor Eric Bolling, HuffPost reports. He apparently sent pictures of his junk to colleagues. It’s interesting that Bolling once trashed Anthony Weiner for doing similarly.
- Greed is not good: Will the Trump team disasters finally put an end to the businessman myth?, Salon asks. The notion that CEOs and businesscritters are better at running government when they run it like a business is a tired, old, super-wrong misconception that is fast being tested under Trump.
- Dear Liberals, Ivanka Trump was never your ally, Bustle reports. None of us ever thought so – it was primarily a construct of the news media that liberals held out hope for Ivanka or Jared to pump the breaks on the orange sociopath.
- Canada is struggling to deal with the intense influx of people seeking asylum coming from the United States, Salon reports. This is not a joke. Canada is legitimately experiencing problems absorbing the flow of people pouring over their border from The United States under Trump.
- Russia is conducting a back-to-the-80s foreign policy with regards to America, The Atlantic reports. Trump has sought to advance Moscow’s goals in the US, but these efforts have been mostly stymied with the imposition of new sanctions for Russia’s meddling in our elections.
- Trump’s border wall construction is trampling the private property rights of individuals in Texas, with a local owner finding workers with chainsaws clear-cutting the way for the wall, The Texas Observer reports.
- Al Gore tells Bill Maher we should get rid of the electoral college, EW reports. Two of the last three wins the Republicans have experienced in Presidential races have been counter to the desires of the majority of American citizens. That is not how a republic or a democracy works.
- Pauly Shore has been tapped to play the part of Trump’s favorite mini-me authoritarian, Stephen Miller, Rolling Stone reports. This is perfect casting. “HEY TRUuuuum-PY!”